søndag 9. mars 2008

Why the weight freak is taking over

Me on our recent winter tent trip in Rondane.



This morning I discovered a comment to my post The weight freak takes over concerning the purchase of my bivouac boots. And as I was typing my answer I realized I never told you what I decided to do. And if you haven't followed this blog for a while the post alone was pretty mysterious. So I decided to make my answer and explanation the post of the day.





kpriss:

so what did you do? kept them after all? I'm sorry for being such an ignorant, when seeing these, I thought they're for kids (have seen some of those for cold weather and I thought it was the case) sorry for mistaking. Why is the weight so important (i mean like 40g of difference?)?



Me:

The reason why I purchased the bivouac boots in the first place is that in May my friend Y and I are going trekking in Nepal, all by ourselves. You can see the other posts on the subject here. Since we're carrying our own load and not using porters ("Sherpas") the weight is very important. If our backacks are too heavy we might not be able to get to Everest Base Camp. We're planning to do a very nice route that takes a bit longer than the straight-in-straight-out variant. Spending more time is also good for adjusting to the height and lessen the risk of Altitude Sickness. We're planning to spend 23-24 days in the mountains so we're carefully planning what to take and what not to take. And since we're both girls and easily get cold feet insulated "loafers" that we can wear around camp are great.





So over to the boots themselves: I've decided to keep them but swap the inner soles for thick woolen ones. The inner soles currently in there are some sort of plastic foam and they seem a bit too large. So they'll "eat upwards" as you walk in them and you'll end up treading on the blue fabric that isn't watertight, thus becoming wet. With other soles that are smaller I'm hoping to solve the problem. I have kept the receipt, though, so I can take them back if it doesn't work.

2 kommentarer:

Ylvan sa...

And how about the gore tex??? The zipper on my XCR broke today so I took my paclite for the ski jumping contest in Holmenkollen, it's a big difference between the jackets. Questions, questions...

Snow Queen sa...

I'm afraid my colleague is right - Paclite won't do the trick... I found that my ProShell is 488 grams without the snowskirt. Maybe that'll do it. Sigh. Difficult!