mandag 7. april 2008

Gnarly gaiters


We decided from the start not to buy new gear for Nepal if we have stuff that is good enough already. Removing my old full gaiters from my old boots and putting them on the boots I'm bringing has been my intention all the way. Wearing full gaiters in stead of regular ones gives more warmth. You can see my plan for footwear here.



But nothing ever runs smoothly. Well, the first gaiter did come off quite nicely. When I first put the gaiters on my boots I had to glue them on. This is to prevent them from sliding off the tip of the boot. I first glued them with the kind of glue you fix bicycle wheels with. This didn't prove to be a very good idea. The glue became brittle in the cold and the right gaiter popped up after a while. I can't remember what I glued it with after that but it might have been super glue. Whatever it was it surely worked. It worked very well, as a matter of fact. This evening I spent 45 minutes carving my gaiter off my boot. I did manage to save the gaiter. The photo above shows what the boot ended up looking like.



I haven't glued the gaiters on to my favourite boots yet but this is what it's going to look like when I'm done:

2 kommentarer:

Nina sa...

Good for you for being thrifty. I take any and every excuse to buy new gear!

Snow Queen sa...

Heh heh. I've become cheap after working in the business for some years now.